Friday, June 24, 2011

Hudson

If anything merits a blog it is the birth of a grandchild.

Hudson Christopher Johns was born on June 15th to my daughter Alyssa and son-in-law Paul.  Holly and I wasted very little time jumping a flight to Arizona.  It has been an amazing week, and I find it difficult to voice what it feels like to be a grandparent – as so many of you told me, there is nothing quite like it.

It has been a joy to bounce Hudson around and to watch my daughter and son-in-law take those first steps of parenthood.  They are doing well, supporting and encouraging each other, and experiencing all the variety of issues that go with having a newborn.  I am proud of them both.

Something unexpected for me was sharing some of the anxiety parents of newborns feel when you ask all those beginning questions: “Is he doing okay?  Is he eating enough?  Why is he crying?”  And the question we with experience already know the answer to – “Will life ever be the same again?”

Simple, black and white answer – “No!”

I read recently that having a child is an act of faith and an act of defiance.  An act of faith in that it expresses the belief that God can bring something good and pure and beautiful into this world.  An act of defiance in that parents refuse to let some of the scary things of this world have the final say – they dare, with courage, bring a child into this world, believing this child can not only change their lives but the lives of others.

At one point in my adulthood my Mom told me she prayed for me everyday.  I found comfort in that – if no one else prayed for me, Mom did.  Her prayers ceased long ago as she went to her heavenly home, but I continue her practice.  I seldom miss a day when I do not pray for my children Alyssa and Chad, and years ago I added to my daily prayer their spouses Paul and Becki.

Now with joy I add Hudson to the list.

1 comment: